Friday

Task Development

Print Product

The first four pictures below are my own images I have taken to use for my digipak and digipak magazine advert. The three images below are ideas for three different album covers; they gave me an idea of what sort of thing I wanted to use in my print work.
Firstly I looked at solo male artists' album covers so that I could get an idea of what they were like. What I liked about these particular album front covers was their simplicity. I thought that the style of shot was appealing for their target audience as it made the featured artists look attractive and open.
From these digipaks I decided that I wanted to use the forms and conventions of the albums above in my own piece. I would carry out the winter theme on the front cover and throughout the entire digipak, focusing on the artist.








When I was filming I decided that I wanted my music video to link with the images on my album cover and magazine advertisement.


After having taken the pictures and researching what I wanted to be my main theme I decided to research digipaks. I looked at the following styles:







After looking at these I tried to create my own. This was my first draft:



However I found it very hard on publisher and therefore I took some time to look for a template on the internet, I found a very helpful website which I could download a template from http://www.duplication.ca/printspecs/digipack.htm I then uploaded it onto a publisher document and had to copy and paste it to overlay it over my pictures when I had finished. I found this programme very helpful. I then produced a first draft using the new programme.



I showed this to my focus group and they suggested that I fill the blank inside cover with a page of thanks from the artist. This follows the conventions of a digipak within this genre and so I added this feature to my design.



Once I had created my digipak I looked at some music magazine advertisements. I have included one example below:


I am fond of the simpleness of this however I do not think that the information is clear enough. For my advert I would like the information to be clear and the image of the artist to dominate the page, showing who he is; introducing the new artist to the public, increasing the awareness of him. I want the advert to appeal to the target audience. I believe that by using black and white images it connotes an air of mystery around the artist, thus inviting people to find out more about him.

Below is the first draft of my magazine advert. I liked the picture but I did feel it wasn't of a good enough quality to use. When I showed this to my focus group they said that the balance between image and text wasn't equal and that they felt the picture was too dark. They also said that the font wasn't attractive for the poster and the picture gave across a far scarier genre rather than a jazz/pop feel.




So, after listening to comments from my focus group I completed another draft.




As you can see the quality of the image on my second and final draft is much better. I have changed the image to a stronger image and wanted to make sure that my genre was evident from the photograph and colours of the poster. I wanted to make my artist more appealing and I feel that the second draft does this. I changed the font so that it was more suitable for the genre, making it more attractive and appealing to my target audience.

Main Product

I believe that my AS work has helped me greatly to become a more successful media producer rather than just a consumer. It allowed me to have a better knowledge of the planning and research part of development; with a clearer idea of just how important the research and development stages are in order for the success of a final product.

As I have shown in my other posts with my main product I researched many music videos for many reasons. I wanted to have as much knowledge as possible so that my final product was as professional as possible.
I found it very helpful to use www.youtube.com as I was able to research a huge variety of music videos and get many ideas. I also found looking at previous students entries of A2 music videos helpful as it gave me confidence to not be afraid of making the video more exciting by using such things as different angle shots.

My video development took a very long time, as I wanted to make sure I had a very clear idea of what I wanted; I didn't want to start filming without an idea in my head of what a really wanted to achieve. Although my final filming was in the snow and my first draft storyboard was not as finally tuned I still had a very clear idea of what I wanted to achieve and set in mind how I wanted my artist to come across.

I was very sure I wasn't going to accept any clip in my video that I didn't believe worked just to fill in the gaps, therefore I spent much time going back and re-filming. After I had taken more footage I asked a focus group to look at and I wanted comments back as to what they thought worked better. There is a clip in my music video which isn't in the snow which is of a female, this is shown in a different weather condition and colour because it is a memory and I have also added the effect of 'old film' because I think it works well to show that somewhere the artist has been looking for 'Her' but he hasn't met her yet, however this thought has been ongoing for a while throughout his life therefore I believe that it works well.

The problem that I had with editing my video was that the snow only lasted a couple days and whilst I was at the editing stage the snow disappeared. This meant that any extra shots had to be done minus the snow so I had to find a way to work these into my existing footage.

I did this by taking extra footage of the male in a different location. I made this inside so that the lack of snow wasn't a problem. With the female I wanted to make it look like a different time and place anyway so I think that the lack of snow as mise en scene doesn't really affect this part.

I had to work out an ending to the video as the original footage for this wasn't of a high enough quality to use in comparison to the rest of the footage that I had so I decided to use the song lyrics as an idea. I used the repetition of the word 'love' and thought it would be good to incorporate different ages and nationalities into the video to attract a wider audience. I also thought that this contrast brought an aspect of light relief to the end of the video.

After completing my video I got another focus group to watch my video, it was suggested to me that the image of the female might of worked better if she was in the video earlier on, however I did not want to do this because I wanted to keep the focus on the male artist and I thought that if I had the image of the girl from the start then it would seem like someone who he had already met, as I tried to insert some clips of the female into the video from the start and it didnt work aswell.
Another point my focus group made was that in my very last clip with the different characters holding the 'love'sign seemed a little random as it did not really seem to flow from the begining, however I used this to end the video on a light hearted note, and I wanted to add lots of different cultures into my video and ages to make it a wider issue and something eveybody wants.

I also used hand held cam, I did this because I wanted to make my video seem more personal and I thought this helped create it, but I wanted to be sure that the audiance was aware of this is deliberate technique when I asked my focus group what they thought of it and they said I was obvious it was deliberate I was pleased, as it was something I had been concerned about.

Another problem I had was with my male actor. There are times throughout the filming where he forgot or was unsure of the words of the song and this has affected some of the clips. As I stated before I couldn't re-shoot these as the snow had gone and it would have affected the continuity of the music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment